A technology cluster is a structured aggregation of businesses, universities, research centres and other public or private entities, focused on a specific field and having a legal personality and a model of governance.
It participates actively in the implementation of innovative processes that contribute to the competitiveness of Lombardy at a local, national and international level:
- Fosters collaboration between scientific and industrial actors in the cluster, facilitating the inclusion of small businesses (micro-, small- and medium-sized enterprises and start-ups).
- Supports the Lombardy Region in the process of defining and updating the Research and Innovation Strategy (R&I).
- Maps the skills and promotes excellence of the region in creating new value chains.
- Exploits the results of R&I activities in the region.
The nine areas in which the Technological Clusters recognised by the Lombardy Region operate represent the strategic areas identified on a national level through a broader policy to support new aggregations in Research, Innovation and Competitiveness launched in 2012:
- Green Chemistry
- Intelligent Manufacturing
- Life Sciences
- Technologies for Smart Communities
- Technologies for living spaces